Re: [CBQ] Aurora Station in the push-pull era

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Aurora Station in the push-pull era
From: "Leo Phillipp via groups.io" <qutlx1=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2022 08:46:15 -0600
Sender: CBQ@groups.io

Don,

You are correct that 100% push pull operations ( I believe in 1964) reduced the use of the west end of Aurora depot tracks a little but it did not eliminate them.

Don’t forget there were still many moves by the Aurora switch engine on 4PM and midnights moving trains to and from the hole tracks and hill yard tracks. Refer to the color maps in Friends of Burlington Northern October 2021 issue, page 15  . Depending on which tracks the equipment came or went to the switch engine crew would need to use the west switches.

Also there was still breaking apart and combining cars into new trains at the depot which for some moves were done from the west end. Also many arriving trains had to be set over to storage tracks to clear platform tracks for the next arrivals. These were often done from the west end. Finally the locomotives still had to be routed to and from the Aurora depot yard to the roundhouse and back in lite moves.
The Aurora tower operator on 4PM and midnight shifts was a busy guy.

Even during the BN  H.E.P. days there were still depot switch moves. The move to the Aurora Transportation center around ‘86 eliminated both the 4pm and midnight switch engines. The day crew hung on for a few years doing the freight work but it eventually was eliminated.

Steve Holding could probably write a medium sized BRHS Bulletin article about nights at Aurora tower as he lived it. Not that I’m suggesting😉

Leo