Re: [CBQ] 2022 01 Q about Chi-StP Western Star/Mainstreeter

To: cbq@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] 2022 01 Q about Chi-StP Western Star/Mainstreeter
From: "Louis Zadnichek via groups.io" <LZadnichek=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2022 16:51:42 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
February 12, 2022

Tom - Thanks for doing this.  I recognize a number of the addressee names shown including my father M.L. Zadnichek who was Chicago Division Superintendent at the time.  His friends and colleagues S.J. "Sam" Carbone, who was Assistant Superintendent at the 14th Street Coach Yard in Chicago; C.J. "Chuck" Miller, who was Aurora Division Superintendent and R.G. "Dick" Johnson, who was General Manager Lines East; are also listed. Those names and others shown bring back many memories of my youth.

This is a good example of how the Q's passenger department in conjunction with the operating department meticulously planned, organized and carried out second sections at times when there were "too many cars" on a particular train due to an overflow of passengers.  And to think that such second sections were all seamlessly blended into the usual daily mix of freight and passenger trains, particularly over the single track mainline from Aurora to Savanna, IL. It would be a very different story today - Louis

Louis Zadnichek II
Fairhope, AL