[CBQ] Holy Grail CB&Q Flexi-Van Black Hawk Photo

To: CBQ@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [CBQ] Holy Grail CB&Q Flexi-Van Black Hawk Photo
From: "Tom Mack via groups.io" <thommack=yahoo.com@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2021 06:29:36 -0800
Every so often you find one of those "Holy Grail" photos. I just found one in the new Morning Sun book on Chicago Intercity Trains (I was at a train show). According to the caption in the book it is the Chicago-bound Black Hawk approaching St. Paul Union Depot (SPUD) in August 1969. You can barely make out the GN roundhouse behind the curve. It has a single E9A and right behind it is a CB&Q Flexi-Van flat with two side door Flexi-Vans. The first is clearly Burlington, but I think the second one is either MILW or NYC since it does not have the full BURLINGTON side board. Behind the Flexi-Van was a couple of Havelock baggage cars, then two smooth side silver passenger cars, then another car I can't make out..

I have been looking forever for confirmation of Flexi-Vans on Q trains between Chicago and Mpls-StP (since I have a couple of the Walthers cars) and this now confirms it happened at least once! But I would think this was maybe a regular occurrence? I did not buy a $60 book for one photo, but took careful notes. Does anyone have this book who could look at the photo and confirm, especially my thoughts on the second Flexi-Van trailer? Or does anyone have any further info on Flexi-Vans on the Black Hawk?

--
Tom Mack
Cincinnati, OH

View/Reply Online (#62717) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic