Re: [CBQ] Minneapolis/St. Paul to St. Louis via the Beardstown Division

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Minneapolis/St. Paul to St. Louis via the Beardstown Division
From: "William Hirt" <whirt@fastmail.com>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 08:10:18 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Hank,

If you do not have the TRRA Bulletin on the Zephyr Rocket, it is well worth purchasing. Larry Thomas, the editor, did a great job putting together the history of the train. It is like a book just on the Zephyr Rocket. He also explained why the train only ran with one E unit (arguments about costs). The general rule of thumb was 8 cars per E unit, but the Zephyr Rocket often exceeded this due to head end traffic and had time keeping problems on the Burlington portion.

A reproduction of the Zephyr Rocket dining menu is also included folded and tucked in the back cover. There is also maps and interesting detail about how the Zephyr Rocket was routed into the Quincy station on the Illinois side before the new West Quincy depot was built.

Bill  Hirt