Re: [CBQ] 1897 Chalco incident

To: "cbq@groups.io" <cbq@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] 1897 Chalco incident
From: "mrslandser via groups.io" <mrslandser=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2021 20:59:04 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Having lived on the UP mainline in Valley, NE, during the late 40s and thru the 50s, I can remember "cowboys" riding the UP stock trains in post-WWII.  The yard office in Valley had the third floor fitted with bunks, showers, "lounge" and "all the comforts from home".  As a western fan during those years (I was born in 1942), I was awestruck with the men passed through the yard office.

As to the Frisco-BN merger, I spent the first summer of that merger as a "time-slime" on a steel gang traveling from Forest City, MO to as far west as Guernsey, WY.  The "old hands" weren't too happy about the merger and some "wag" showed up at the Lincoln depot passing out baseball caps in BN green and white with the Frisco shield and lettered Frisco Northern.  The division supt. wasn't too keen and anyone wearing them in the depot.  Someplace in my collection, I still have that cap that brings memories of social establishments frequented while wearing it in Forest City, Wymore, Table Rock, and points west.

Jack H
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#61259) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

_._,_._,_