Re: [CBQ] Help In ID'ing Photograph

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Help In ID'ing Photograph
From: "William Hirt" <whirt@fastmail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2020 19:17:59 -0600
Sender: CBQ@groups.io

Actually in 1900 St. Joseph reached it's maximum size - almost 103,000 residents which was a big number then (though the number has been questioned as that was a doubling of the 1890 population). It's never been that size again. By 1910, it was a little over 77,000.  It pretty much has settled into the mid 70,000s since then.

Before the turn of the 20th Century, St. Joseph was a very wealthy town with a boulevard system, had one of the first electric streetcar systems, and a planned park system. St. Joe was still referred to in popular nationwide media into the 1940s, so I would think it was well known in the Midwest at the time of the image.

Now how it got to Davenport is another story.

Bill Hirt