Re: [CBQ] Eastbound Coal Trains Through Savanna

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Eastbound Coal Trains Through Savanna
From: "Winton" <runextra@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2020 20:21:37 -0800
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Nope, not early 70s because the new loadout track & tipple was not there when I
came in 1975. I worked the old Mine Runs when the old Kiewit siding was there
right alongside the mainline and the mine leads from the upper & lower yards
came up to join that old siding. It was impossible for those leads to reach the
old siding along the main after the new loadout track was built because it is
much lower than the main & old siding. I also remember them building the
concrete silo using those 'slip forms' where they had a ring of forms that
slowly moved up as they poured the concrete. I could see the progress day to
day as I went by on trains or the helpers. So the new loadout had to have been
built some time between 1976 & 1978. I'm leaning towards 1978but since you
don't remember not seeing it without the new loadout maybe it could have been
1977. Like you, I don't remember any hoopla about opening the facilities there.
Unlike Spring Creek Mine on the Decker branch where they had a big to-do and
even had a business train come for its opening. But that's a different story.