Re: [CBQ] Eastbound Coal Trains Through Savanna

To: CBQ@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Eastbound Coal Trains Through Savanna
From: "Tom Mack via groups.io" <thommack=yahoo.com@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2020 18:26:35 -0800
On Sun, Nov 1, 2020 at 09:00 PM, Ted Schnepf wrote:
It might be a cut of loaded hoppers at the front of a regular mixed freight train.
Hi Ted,

Yes, valid point. It just seemed odd since I can't recall ever seeing that many loaded coal cars together in a picture of an eastbound freight through or on either side of Savanna. And while I guess a mine could ship out a longer cut of cars vs. a whole train, wheel reports I have seen on the NP and GN mixed freights never showed a large number of loaded coal hoppers headed east. So my mind just jumped to the possibility of this being a pure coal train vs. a mixed freight, which could make sense if Powder River coal was starting to flow from the mines to powerplants around this time. I guess the triple set of heavy GE's (U30C-U28B-U30C) also reminds me of power on a unit coal train.

Finally, I was also hoping that there might be an explanation that could justify my running a unit coal train eastbound on my layout just before the BN merger! :-)

--
Tom Mack
Cincinnati, OH

View/Reply Online (#60730) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic