Re: [CBQ] CB&Q Mileage Tariff from the 1960's

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] CB&Q Mileage Tariff from the 1960's
From: "William Hirt" <whirt@fastmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2020 10:34:30 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io

Here is the story on the NMRA Operations SIG industry list.

This was started by the late Bill Jewett when he was president of the Op SIG. Probably 80-90% of the industry listings are from the railroad issued industrial guides. I know because I contributed  to the Op SIG project. Doug Harding who is on this list also provided a information to the project based on his research. Ted Schnepf sells reproductions of many of these guides now and even the BRHS has offered as part of the archives campaign a Chicago Switching Tariff.

The general rule on these industrial guides is that they only list industries that were at competitive points for subject railroad. I am sure part of the idea was to try and get customers to route their traffic via the railroad that produced the guide.

That is why at points like Mt. Morris where there were no other railroads there is no railroad industrial guide listing customers. This is why there is a great deal of overlap in the Op SIG data set for places like Kansas City and St. Louis because a several guides listed industrial customers at various times. Many guides were very generic about what a customer shipped/received. Some rare exceptions were more specific. A lot of this appears to have depended on the information provide by the local station agent. Also by the mid 1950s it appears that many railroads decided not to issue such listings anymore. I suspect part of that was keep this information from trucking competitors. Also some railroads seem to have discontinued them even sooner with World War II being a dividing point. The exceptions I have seen by the 1960s was the Chicago Switching Tariff, a GN system listing, a MP system listing, a NP system listing, a RI system listing and a Milwaukee Road system listing  (all Midwest or western railroads). The latest comprehensive eastern railroad industry listing I've seen was a 1954 Reading (which is available online now). If there are more, it appears many have been lost to the trash bin of history. One used to be able to watch for them on eBay but they have become few and far between the past 10 years.

I've added some of this information to my own personal list based on my interests based on magazine articles, etc. I just added several industries to the Trenton MO area based on a article in the latest Trains and Railroads Past about the Rock Island there. As far as I know, any additions to the Op SIG industry list has been pretty dormant for a number of years because no one really picked up the ball after Bill passed.

Peter White, who sells a program called Shenware Waybills for creating waybills for model railroads, offers a free program called IndMan that will ingest the Op SIG industry files and convert it to a format his program can use. I've used his software for many years.

Bill Hirt