Re: [CBQ] Iron Horse 400

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Iron Horse 400
From: "William Barber" <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2020 11:30:46 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Bryan,

I am not aware of any other joint trips with the C&NW, but there were other trips where the equipment was handed off to other railroads. There were a number of Illini RR Club trips to the DM&IR where the equipment was interchanged to the Great Northern at St. Paul and then to the DM&IR at Duluth.

Illini RR Club also ran a number of trips, usually around the early June, to Colorado and the D&RGW narrow gauge. On those trips, the entire train was interchanged to the D&RGW at Denver for the trip down the joint line to Alamosa via La Veta Pass. I rode the first two of those trips in 1959 and 1960. The trips continued on until the end of steam excursions in 1966. The 1963 trip included a trip on the Union Pacific from Denver to Laramie, WY with 4-8-4 8444 used between Cheyenne and Laramie and return, but the brochure seems to indicate that U.P. equipment was used on the U.P. portion of the trip. There was also a side trip on the C&S and Great Western Railway, but it appears to have used C&S equipment. The 1966 trip included a side trip on the D&RGW to Craig, CO through Moffat tunnel. It doesn't indicate what equipment was used on the trip to Craig, but a box lunch was included, so it may have been D&RGW equipment. There was also a repeat trip to Laramie included in 1966, again with 8444 between Cheyenne and Laramie. As in the 1963 trip, they  apparently used U.P. equipment for this portion. On the 1963 trip, they continued to use the Q train equipment between Denver and Alamosa, but on the 1964 and possibly 1965 and 1966 trips, it appears that D&RGW equipment was used between Denver and Alamosa.

The Illini RR Club 1962 Labor Day weekend trip to the DM&IR interchanged the the Q train consist coming from Chicago to the GN to Duluth, to the DM&IR and finally to the Duluth and Northeastern for the trip to Cloquet, MN. I rode that trip.

One last joint trip occurred on the July Fourth weekend in 1964 when Minnesota Railfans Association (possibly in conjunction with Illini RR Club or another Chicago club)  ran a trip from Chicago to Winnipeg, Canada. A second train ran from Minneapolis to Duluth, then to Duluth & Northeastern for a steam trip and on to Winnipeg where the two trains were combined for the return trip to Minneapolis. The trip from Chicago to St. Paul was powered by 5632 with a possible stop at Dubuque, IA.

Unfortunately, the only details that I have for most of these trips the brochures that are available on the BRHS Flickr site. Except as noted, I did not ride any of them.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO

Re: Iron Horse 400
From: Bryan Howell
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2020 05:04:58 PDT

Bill,

Thanks for passing this along. This really fills in the details for the trip and I've added a summary of the trip to the photo caption. If we could unearth additional photos of this trip, I think it would make an interesting article for the Bulletin or Zephyr. Were there any other joint trips like this?

Thanks!

Bryan J. Howell
Superior, WI

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#60411) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

_._,_._,_