Re: [CBQ] [EarlyRail] Photo: Simple Weathering Project - CB&Q Boxcar 121

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] [EarlyRail] Photo: Simple Weathering Project - CB&Q Boxcar 12138
From: "William Hirt" <whirt@fastmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2020 18:57:15 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io

Just as point of reference, the west bottoms area of Kansas City (which is where this photo was taken) has not flooded again since the great 1951 flood. After that flood, a 50 foot concrete flood wall was built. Even in 1993 which caused anxiety in Kansas City about flooding, the water level never reached closer than 10 feet below the top of the flood wall.

The 1951 flood however decimated the stockyards and meat packers in the area. The area never totally recovered as the livestock to market pattern changed and Omaha became the biggest packing town.

This Esther Bubley photo from 1948 (part of the Newberry Library CB&Q collection) shows the west bottoms as it's height prior to the 1951 flood. The elevated track is the old Kansas City Public Service line that entered a tunnel beneath the photographer to get to downtown Kansas City.

Bill Hirt