Re: [CBQ] CB&Q Weigh Station Reporting Marks

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] CB&Q Weigh Station Reporting Marks
From: "Michael Woodruff" <mwoodruff54@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 11:06:04 -0700
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Harlem Yard was in St. Louis.

msw
az

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 10:49 AM Nelson Moyer <npmoyer@hotmail.com> wrote:

The other locations with Fairbank scales but without confirmed station reporting marks are:

Plattsmouth, NE

Aurora, IL

Ottumwa, IA

Hastings, NE

Murray Yard, MO (North Kansas City)

Rockford, IL

Rock Island, IL

Harlem Yard, MO (I don’t know the city)

Pacific Junction, IA

I would think Aurora and Plattsmouth would be reweigh stations, but Plattsmouth is close to Lincoln and Havelock, both of which reweighed cars. Of course Lincoln and Havelock are right there together,  so distance between scales doesn’t appear to be a consideration. Aurora is close to Eola, so do both have scales? Ottumwa was a division or subdivision point depending on era, so it would be logical reweigh cars there. I don’t know the location or Harlem yard, and it doesn’t appear in the BRHS publication index.

I attached the CB&Q data from the master list being revised. If anyone in this group knows of other reweigh stations, please notify me so that I can forward the data to the person responsible for updating the master list.

Another consideration about reporting marks is when scales were built and decommissioned. Burlington is listed as having track scales, probably for weighing grain cars because of the export elevator there and maybe stock cars, though all of the Washington branch line towns had livestock scales, but I know of no photos of track scales in Burlington and no information when they were built or removed. BB#27 covers scale houses and scale cars very well, but it is largely silent about when scales were in operation and how they were used. That might make a good Zephyr or multi-topic bulletin article, and it would be invaluable to prototype modelers who pay attention to reweigh stations and dates on their freight cars.

Nelson Moyer