Re: [CBQ] Alco S-2

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Alco S-2
From: "Mike Martin via Groups.Io" <atsf3460=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2020 09:24:00 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Didn't builder's use a gray paint for their locomotives featured in the builder photo to better show details?  I've attached a Baldwin builder's photo of #5601 and the paint looks very washed out compared to what a brand new locomotive would look like I think.  Trains magazine years ago had a feature on the Lima company photographer and that may give more details on how these photos were made.

I think perhaps what we're seeing on the eBay photograph is glare from the vents since the sun position looks to be shining from a vertical position.  It may be that the bulge of the vent is aligned with the angle of the sun and that's why it appears lighter than it really should.

Mike Martin