Re: [CBQ] FW: [S-Scale] Real RR 12" to the foot item

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] FW: [S-Scale] Real RR 12" to the foot item
From: "William Barber" <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2020 10:08:33 -0600
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
I agree with Mr. Zadnichek, the oil can being offered has been modified for some alternate purpose. Here are photos of a CB&Q oil can that I inherited from a relative who worked in engine service on Q commuter trains in the late 1940s and early 1950s during the last days of steam. Mine is clearly stamped “CB&Q RR CO” on the handle. It was manufactured by a company named “Johnson” in Urbana, OH. The relative was my dad’s cousin whose name was Burns Wyllie. He left the railroad shortly after the diesels arrived in commuter service. I also have a coal scoop or shovel that he provided. It too, is stamped CB&Q on the handle.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO

Re: FW: [S-Scale] Real RR 12" to the foot item
From: Louis Zadnichek
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2020 08:28:06 PST

February 6, 2020

All - From the image provided, it appears that this particular oiler has had its spout cropped, possibly for use in a shop setting.  For me, the cropped spout much reduces it's value as a collectible.

Steam locomotive oilers marked "BR" or "Burlington Route" occasionally come up for bid on the Internet.  I purchased one with a complete long spout for about $75.00 a year or so ago - Louis

Louis Zadnichek II
Fairhope, AL

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#58860) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic