Re: [CBQ] Vertical Bug and commentary

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Vertical Bug and commentary
From: "jpslhedgpeth via Groups.Io" <jpslhedgpeth=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2019 22:47:47 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
thanks for the reminder Ken...I often think when I'm driving on a highway that parallels a RR I get the sense that something is missing....Yes..that's right.  NO POLE LINES.  Back in the day lots of things were based on "pole lines" and individual poles.  1.  "Slow orders" were marked off as between  MP 1234   P 23...etc. Phones along the ROW were located in  a "Phone box" which was normally attached to a pole.  Before engines had speedometers engineers by use of their  "Hamiltons would calculate their train's speed by counting time between Pole No. 4.....and Pole No. 32 etc.  Many many years ago freight trains...and maybe passenger trains would carry a "pole" with a wire and hook device that when  "broke down" "out in the country" the Conductor could extent said pole with hook and wire and contact the DS with the portable phone that came with it.by hooking the wire on his portable phone over the ROW pole line and  Voila..there was the DS.

Well that;'s my "old guy'......everything has gone to pot today rant.

It's 4:45 pm and I think I'll go and start supper preparations.

Pete