Re: [CBQ] identify locomotive

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] identify locomotive
From: "Louis Zadnichek via Groups.Io" <LZadnichek=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2019 15:52:49 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
December 16, 2019

Weldon - Much appreciate your posting the two additional images of the snow plow extra on the Holdrege-Sterling line.  I'm attaching a very poor quality image that I spent a great deal of time on recovering what I could of the badly deteriorated/yellowed/faded details.

It's a pretty remarkable image in that it shows a snow plow train with at least six coupled locomotives, a mix of Class H 2-6-0's and Class K 4-6-0's, lined-up to push a big wedge plow across some now long forgotten, if not abandoned, line in Nebraska.  The image is undated.

This was winter railroading at its most dangerous in the bitter freezing cold. Engine crews were killed or badly injured in snow clearing accidents when wedge plows derailed on ice and the hard pushing locomotives behind were jack-knifed. Merry Christmas - Louis

Louis Zadnichek II
Fairhope, AL