Re: [CBQ] Q/BN Collector's uniform

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Q/BN Collector's uniform
From: "Leo Phillipp via Groups.Io" <qutlx1=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2019 18:23:34 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Eric,

I worked with Ray Prince on dinkies many times. Ray was, as my great uncle described him "a prince of a man". He was quiet, low key but clearly an intelligent individual. He was still working in 1980 but then I lost track of him.

He was what was nicknamed a "drone" as he had given up his Conductors rights, referred to as "chucking them". With his seniority(whiskers) he worked the premier dinkies which meant he had most of the day off between morning and evening rush hours. I think he had a job "over town" as I don't recall him as a regular "deadhead" in the 8:30 back to Aurora, and he definitely did not hang in the locker room playing cards.

I do know for a fact he was on the Aurora Burlington Credit Union board and saw him numerous times on pay day coming out of the credit union after conferring with the staff.
By the way, for those who don't know, the credit union was in the alcove or entrance to the subway between the Aurora depot and the subway up to the boarding tracks.

One of my special memories is of working with Ray and Ray Burnell on a dinky when Ray Burnell warned me not to leave the bottom step of the car when we stopped inbound in the morning because Condr. "Maxie" never looked at his watch and would leave an unsuspecting brakeman in the platform with several minutes to go before departure. Sure enough this snowy winter day we pull into Lisle and load up. I look at my watch and we have three minutes before TT departure so I think I'll step into the platform and re board when we have a minute or so to go. Sure enough I no sooner step onto the platform than Maxie highballs the engineer. He closes the doors and only because Ray
Burnell was watching and he reopened the doors could I climb onto the moving train. Did I mention this was a violation of the rules to leave a station before posted departure time?

Later that day while Ray Prince and I brought the outbound evening rush train from 14th st. Yard to C.U.S. did the subject of Maxie come up. Ray shared a story from decades before on the Rockfalls way freight (probably in 1948 or so) when he was working with Maxie on that job. They were struggling towards Rockfalls in deep snow, doubling hills,stalling,etc. After a double Maxie went to the line side phone  and advised the dispatcher of the situation and that if they kept going in this manner they would die under the hog law well short of Rock Falls. The DS advised him to reduce his train and make a run for Rock Falls. Which he did. But Ray Prince was totally disgusted with Maxie because he setout the fuel oil, coal and misc freight and took the scrap and other cars to Rock Falls. Ray just couldn't believe Maxie would let people run out of heat, etc . Just to feed a steel mill furnace.
Needless to say his opinion of Maxie was not very high.

Leo Phillipp