Re: [CBQ] Apollo 11 in Burlington Yard 50 Years Ago

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Apollo 11 in Burlington Yard 50 Years Ago
From: "Tim Long" <dulcimert@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2019 21:16:40 -0400
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
My memory of 20 July 1969: I was in Basic Training at the USAF Academy. After dinner, we were told to assemble on the Terrazzo. We marched over to the movie theater, filed in and waited. None of us knew what was going on (we'd been pretty busy the last four weeks). Then the live broadcast started and we saw Neal Armstrong step off the ladder and make his momentous statements. I think we watched for about a half an hour and then we were marched back to our rooms.

One side note to keep this about the CB&Q. About a week before I went from Chicago to Colorado Springs, my mom told me that the Zephyrs were going away and that if I wanted to experience one, I should take the DZ out to Denver. I ended up doing just that. Leaving from CUT, I went up to a dome car to see the suburbs go by and waved to my future family (in-laws-to-be) just west of Stone Avenue.The train was about half full so I had many seats in the dome car to choose from. I remember waking up in my Slumbercoach room at about 5:30 and going up into one of the dome cars to watch the sunrise. Being in Nebraska at that time, the land was pretty flat but pretty soon I was able to make out the Rockies. Another young guy came up and we started talking. He was from Iowa and was also going to USAFA (he was very bright and eventually made MGen before he retired). I took some pictures along the way, but lost the camera after a plane ride at Peterson Field.

Tim Long
Charlottesville, VA
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#57788) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic