[CBQ] Sugar industry book

To: <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: [CBQ] Sugar industry book
From: oth@prairieweb.com
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2019 15:22:39 -0600
Sender: CBQ@groups.io

[Edited Message Follows]
[Reason: More information]

Anyone with information,
    I’m working on the Holly/Torrington chapter for my Sugar Industry book circa 1925. I find repeated references in the newspaper articles to a new railroad bridge planned over the North Platte to connect the Burlington & the Union Pacific to serve the factory at Torrington. It appears it was never built. Do you have any idea how the Burlington moved the beets from the beet dumps at Torrington, Vaughn, Lingle and Barnes (all west of Torrington on the CB&Q) to the factory on the south side of the river with no CB&Q/UP rail connections closer than Bridgeport, NE?  Any help or leads appreciated. Thanks,
Larry Gibbs
Gering
More information:
   Here are examples of news reports ...”The survey for the railroad across the Platte river from Torrington down to the factory is also complete. This connects the Burlington with the factory so that the fine beets which are produced on the north side of the river can now be taken to the Holly plant to be turned into sugar.”   Torrington Telegram October 1, 1925 Page one
     Also “The location of the factory at the site selected means the extension of both railroads to the factory site and the construction of a railroad bridge across the North Platte River.”  Torrington Telegram October 8, 1925 page 1
    “From statements made by reliable authorities in connection with the building of the factory, a railroad track will be built from the Burlington line across the river to the factory sit, the railroad bridge to be just seven hundred feet west of the highway bridge.”  Torrington Telegram October 8, 1925 page four editorial
    Not sure what it all means but there is some of the information I referenced.
Larry
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#57556) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic