Re: [CBQ] Sugar industry book

To: <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Sugar industry book
From: "Steven Holding" <sholding@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2019 02:25:05 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Larry
Do not know anything on the bridge but have you looked at the Newberry web site for photos.  Many of the sugar plants.
Steve in SC

On Sunday, June 30, 2019, 06:35:46 PM EDT, Richard Patterson <rlpatterson415@gmail.com> wrote:

Larry,
In the 1950s and 60s they were unloaded from the hopper cars into Holly Sugar owned trucks and hauled across the river on US 85, south to the factory.  I remember the trucks as being International Harvesters, probably R190s.  They were straight trucks with wooden boxes,  painted white, and each pulled a two axle trailer, also with a wooden beet box.  The unloading and hauling was done around the clock as the beets arrived.  I believe most of them came from the beet dumps along the CB&Q through Goshen County, though some came from Platte County, near Wheatland, and I know at times some came from as far as Casper and Riverton, Wyoming.

The unloading site was located just south of the grain elevators located along U.S. 26, west of the CB&Q depot. It's on Curtis Avenue, currently vacant, and still listed by the Goshen County Assessor as being owned by Holly Sugar Company of Denver, CO.

In later years up until the mid 1980s they were handled the same way, but the trucking was done by a private company.

I don''t know about earlier years, but I suspect it was done the same way.

Rick Patterson
Torrington, WY
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#57573) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic