Re: [CBQ] CB&Q Grain Elevators, Grain Covered Hoppers, and Traffic

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] CB&Q Grain Elevators, Grain Covered Hoppers, and Traffic
From: "Mike Decker" <mdecker@gwtc.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2019 21:15:46 -0700
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
The only corrugated steel Q elevator I've seen was at Moorcroft, Wyo., gone now.  The clay plant at Bentley, Wyo.  was built the same way though, wooden structure with corrugated iron on the outside.  The original plant at Clay Spur, Wyo. was wood/corrugated construction.  It burned one winter night, I suspect from sparks from the ex-Cambria coal mine Porter that was their original motive power for their 42" gauge railway.  I have copies of the plans for the new (1931) plant, and it was a genuine "Butler' steel building.  The steamer was replaced with a Whitcomb gas-mechanical, which is now at the Anna Miller Museum in Newcastle, Wyo.  It may have been built during the time my Grandfather ran a slotter at 'The Whitcomb'.
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#57095) | Reply To Group | Mute This Topic | New Topic