Re: [CBQ] CB&Q Grain Elevators, Grain Covered Hoppers, and Traffic

To: <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] CB&Q Grain Elevators, Grain Covered Hoppers, and Traffic
From: "Douglas Harding" <doug.harding@iowacentralrr.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2019 07:58:36 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io

The biggest problem with salvaged lumber from a grain elevator is the large number of nails used and the task of removing those nails. They were large nails, penetrating like 3 layers of 2x material. To salvage the wood means pulling each and every nail out of those 3+ layers of lumber without causing damage to the wood.

When carpenters nail together two or three 2x10s to make a header, they put a nail about every 12” the length of the header. The nails transfer the strength from one layer of lumber to the next. A 36’ square wood elevator, would have 36-40 nails in each layer of lumber in each wall. Four walls equals 150+ nails in each layer, and each layer is 2” thick in a building that is 60 to 80 feet tall. That is a lot of nails.

I remember the salvaging of the Superior grain elevator. If I recall it was finally abandoned because of the labor intensive task of removing the nails. While the salvaged lumber was valuable, it still did not pay for nail removal.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org