Re: [CBQ] CB&Q Grain Elevators,Grain Covered Hoppers

To: <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] CB&Q Grain Elevators,Grain Covered Hoppers
From: "Douglas Harding" <doug.harding@iowacentralrr.org>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2019 23:19:15 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io

Noland, years ago when at the National Archives I found an ICC Valuation report for a grain elevator owned by the Rock Island in Neola IA that was covered with #22 corrugated iron. What caught my eye was the date of the report, Nov 1916. I was not aware that corrugated iron was used that early on grain elevators, until I saw the report. One page of the report is attached. Wood clapboard siding was more common, just don’t put on verticle corner trim boards. Miter each piece of siding. Also don’t nail the siding at the bottom. The weight of the grain in the bids will cause the elevator to compress, which in turn causes any trim boards to pop off.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org