Re: [CBQ] CB&Q Grain Elevators,Grain Covered Hoppers

To: <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] CB&Q Grain Elevators,Grain Covered Hoppers
From: "Douglas Harding" <doug.harding@iowacentralrr.org>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2019 11:42:06 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
To follow up on Leo's comments. In eastern Iowa and Western Illinois, by the
late 60s farmers began trucking their grain directly to the Mississippi
river to load in barges. By the 80s almost all were doing this, as highway
and truck designs improved while rail service deteriorated. And yes grain
elevators preferred covered hoppers, once covered hoppers with a trough
design came into common use for grain loading, ie the mid 70s, and if their
track could support the weight of the larger cars. Many older elevators
could only load boxcars well into the 80s, when those still operating
shifted completely to trucks. There was a major shift in grain service as
exports grew, covered hoppers came into use, and elevator designs changed.
Then unit trains came into being. The old wooded elevators faded out of use
because they were too small. Those that survived are often used for local
storage and/or truck service only.

Attached are a few photos of older wood grain elevators, showing double
spouts for loading boxcars or for loading hopper cars. Also are two photos
showing how a boxcar was loaded. The CN shows the spout was plenty high
enough to top load if needed. I took the shot of the Albert Lea elevator
along the former MSTL, you can see the new spout opening directly above the
original. I also took the photo of the Nodaway IA elevator 4 years ago,
along the CBQ mainline. It too shows two spouts.

Doug  Harding
www.iowacentralrr.org