Re: [CBQ] Brand of Steam Whistles for C&S engines

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Brand of Steam Whistles for C&S engines
From: "Mike Martin via Groups.Io" <atsf3460=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2018 19:05:48 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
I was thinking of using one of the Santa Fe style whistle sounds for the Burlington Route.  If you watch the video on YouTube of the #1522 southbound out of Galesburg returning to St. Louis from Railroad Days one year she's using a real "Q" whistle and it's a bit of a screecher.  The note on the video says it's a 5 chime whistle.  I know who the videographer is and he's well versed on steam locomotives so I don't have any reason to not think this is a real Burlington Route whistle.  The #1522 was a very loud locomotive too so my plan is to use the sounds of #1522 to approximate Burlington Hudsons and 4-8-4s which were also apparently "loudmouths" along with using the Santa Fe passenger whistle.  Santa Fe used two different whistles... one for freight and a more melodious version for passenger.

Wait to get past the video of the #1522 on its home turf where shes using her standard deep steamboat whistle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTKPNYug2pg

Here's a sample of a DCC decoder from Soundtraxx with a Santa Fe step top 6 chime whistle...

https://soundcloud.com/soundtraxx-dcc/atsf-step-top-6-chime

Here's a Soundtraxx file of Colorado and Southern #801 as well... wasn't she one of our O4 2-8-2 mikes we've been talking about?

https://soundcloud.com/soundtraxx-dcc/colorado-southern-no-801?in=soundtraxx-dcc/sets/tsunami2-steam-digital-sound-decoder#t=0:00

Mike Martin