Re: [CBQ] E-5 wreck

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] E-5 wreck
From: "Louis Zadnichek via Groups.Io" <LZadnichek=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2018 18:23:48 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
October 28, 2018

Group - Scroll down to page 26 in the following link:

I'm attaching two photographs from my dad's collection.  Both were taken at night shortly after the head-on collision. One shows the wreckage of the crushed F-3 wrapped around the nose of the E-5. The other shows how deep the E-5 telescoped into the trailing Havelock "economy" baggage car.

The E-Bay daylight images show the wreck after the units were separated. Note the jack-knifed box cars crushed by the impact. IF both trains were traveling approximately 20 mph at the time, the combined collision speed of 40 mph might explain the severe damage.

I can't immediately put my hands on the ICC Accident Investigation Report that my dad also had saved.  Perhaps, another Group member has a copy he can scan and share. I no longer remember if there were fatalities or if both crews had time to jump before impact.

If they didn't jump in time, it's a little hard to believe that anyone could've survived in both cabs.  A look at the ICC Accident Report would answer our questions. One thing you can say at this late date, the freight train looks like it hit a brick wall when it collided with the E-5..... Best Regards - Louis

Louis Zadnichek II
Fairhope, AL