Re: [CBQ] Wertheimer spur or siding in Minnesota

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Wertheimer spur or siding in Minnesota
From: "Fred Crissey" <fhc925@frontier.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2018 02:33:46 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
I do know a little bit about Wertheimer siding.  It was about a mile east of the Pullman Ave grade crossing in St. Paul Park.  Just happens that my daughter lives on Summit Ave in St. Paul Park and their house backs up to the CBQ/BN/BNSF tracks just a little west of where the siding was.  Wertheimer was (and is still to some extant) in the livestock business.  They had/have an office in the area of the old St. Paul Stock Yards on the other side of the Mississippi in South St. Paul.  They built a siding and stock yard facility on the Q.  It was a feed/water and rest operation It was not small and even had its own elevator for cattle feed.  I'd suggest you look at Google Earth.  You can still see where the siding and pens were.  Wertheimer also leased a portion of the Montgomery, IL facility from the Q.  Maybe Leo can add some detail on this operation.  Wertheimer also had/has a ranch in Montana on the NP.  BTW the Q had rights to serve the S St Paul Stock yards over the old St. Paul Bridge and Belt railroad Co. The Belt also ran the St. Paul Stock Yards railroad.  This line was absorbed by the CGW/thence CNW and now UP. South St. Paul is still a BNSF station and BNSF handles traffic into and out of there.  It's not livestock and meat anymore but bulk commodities in covered hoppers and tank cars.  UP does the switching.  The property that Wertheimer had in St, Paul Park is now owned by BNSF.