Re: [CBQ] Pepperidge Farm in Downers Grove

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Pepperidge Farm in Downers Grove
From: "Kirby Lambert" <kirby@prospectortech.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2018 15:35:55 -0500
Cc: Kirby Lambert <kirby@prospectortech.com>
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Michael:

The more I look at what appears to be the ghost image of the warehouse siding, in the 03/2002 and the 10/2007 images, I am convinced that you can figure out where the switch to that siding was. You would need to, at least in your mind, remove the added on part of the building from when the flour delivery siding was extended. It is fairly easy to pick out that part of the building since the roof is higher than the older part.

I have had a lot of success locating and positioning pulled up or removed rail infrastructure using the historical aerial images on Google Earth. Most anything that is removed leaves a ghost image on the ground that shows in aerial photography as long as it has not been built over. In some cases the older image shows structures before they were removed or altered.

Another good source is historical city and town platt maps. Many of them are available online. If you look at the St. Francis Kansas map that I recently uploaded you can see what I mean. It shows the now removed engine maintenance siding including where the turntable and engine house were located. I have not found an aerial that shows that since that area was built over.

I have also had some success searching for old aerial photographs. There are quite a lot of those online especially from the WPA and Farm Admin era of the 30's.

You just have to get creative in your internet searches and take the time to dig down past the first few pages of search results. The first few pages are always weighted by the search engines to lean towards results influenced by the search engine's income sources.

Kirby Lambert