Re: [CBQ] Re: Head Light Operation on Steam Engines

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Head Light Operation on Steam Engines
From: "LZadnichek@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Sun, 7 May 2017 15:28:11 -0400
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

May 7, 2017

All - My dad M.L. Zadnichek who came-up through the Q's operating department during the 1940's, 50s and into the 60s to become a division superintendent, told me years ago that with the advent of the early Zephyrs and FTs that obviously did not emit clouds of black smoke like a steam locomotive and thus were not visible at a distance, it became standard operating practice for diesel powered trains to keep their headlights on at all hours so they would be visible at a distance to track laborers and others present on the right-of-way. This came as a result of a number of fatalities due to track laborers, other employees or trespassers being "surprised" and run over from behind by fast moving diesel powered trains that they sadly had not seen approaching. Also, remember how relatively "quiet" a diesel is at speed compared to a steam locomotive. For any one who has stood track side and watched a Zephyr fast approaching, it was all but silent until literally on top of you and by then it would've been much too late to get out of its way. Yet, with its brilliant headlight on, you could hopefully spot an on-coming Zephyr or freight train from a good distance away and safely clear the right-of-way.  Eventually, the same practice carried over to remaining steam power whose crews often, but not always, kept their headlights on at all hours, too. I surmise that while keeping the headlight on was mandatory for diesel-powered trains, it was left up to the engineer on steam-powered trains as to keep the headlight on or off. I, too, have seen photographs showing steam powered freight trains in the 1950s with headlights both on and off. By the time that 5632 and 4960 were powering fan trips, their headlights were kept on at all hours, although no doubt photographs must exist showing some exception to the practice. Some time ago, we had a thread about how engineers used the clear aspect of their Mars lights on both steam and diesel power as a headlight when their regular headlights became inoperative such as when a bulb burned out. Photographs of that practice exist, too. Best Regards - Louis

Louis Zadnichek II
Fairhope, AL