Re: [CBQ] Head Light Operation on Steam Engines

To: "randy@prototrains.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Head Light Operation on Steam Engines
From: "Kenneth Martin kmartin537@surewest.net [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Sun, 7 May 2017 12:22:46 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1494185217; bh=b9Jwar2F/h8TBr5IGgOPQv+v+3Yfl2AyYkwg/QLrB8c=; h=References:To:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=Gt6Qj/MNkmr6UTBKFyyoimVEqicbfvNSB94tg5S+qsbkUiyMILWHtdA8kfdfOX64+X0LNfIqyXlo87KnrfTzgLW0zXPDC3dwbZNldR9IgaUvUYaUGVHL8oVU0uu/40SNgj3bVBcsjSYuSfacvFraLgRazGAJAjYDWv4nqws2bHU=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

I don’t. have anything deffinate but what I have heard is they did not start using the headlight in the daytime untill the diesels became common, probably the ’50’s.

Reason: Diesels had surplus electricity from the engine.

Steam engine headlights used electricity from a generator. Generators used steam to generate electricity. Steam took coal to produce and the railroads did not want to use any more coal than they had to.

Ken Martin