Re: [CBQ] Re: Head Light Operation on Steam Engines

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Head Light Operation on Steam Engines
From: "'Patrick Homan' homanfamily@fuse.net [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Sun, 7 May 2017 19:47:17 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1494200837; bh=W2CQiVraFJQmn97JLluPEAiSaHqqwl8Tt8mn2nXyjMQ=; h=To:References:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=ZDK+ZfHVmnzo2U1w8ywVx5H5AqT2dsyi/eY23QqXC6CAIAprXwEGpf6MfG0XwReCGlWSO9ch2KB9US/Fwc3s7zCrCLf9/wZ/zkAQqyaGyKhOL61U2d/+qQRwF0C2c2t4prcR3jmMdW+VHcmA+ZJKgl0Zh4bEqetS4BNPW1pIxEg=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
X_cmae_category: , ,
X_cmae_category: , ,

Bob La Messena, a great source of all information, researched this when I asked about this probably about 15 years ago or more.  He wrote and stated it started on an eastern road, probably the Susquehanna, when they first used diesels, and for similar reasons already cited by Mr. Zannicheck.  When the locomotives started to move in the yards, there were some close calls if not accidents.  The practive spread to other roads.  I have a 1951 CB&Q Rule Book where Rule 17 states: The headlight will be displayed to the front of every train by day and by night.  It must ...the rule goes on to discuss the issues of being in the clear on a siding or passing track etc., etc.

Rule 18 states: Yard engines will display to front and rear by night.  When not provided with a headlight at the rear, a white light must be displayed.
It also notes that headlights at the end coupled to a high car can be extinguished.
                                                                                                                Pat

Sent: Sunday, May 07, 2017 6:57 PM

Maybe it was not you, but the fireman.  I can't speak for the Burlington, but in general pointing two fingers toward your eyes was a signal that the headlight was not on, at least on the roads I worked on.