RE: [CBQ] Airbrush question

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Airbrush question
From: "'Douglas Harding' doug.harding@iowacentralrr.org [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2017 22:56:39 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1488085033; bh=t0c1yMgN9t8BC55JDWHEWFAYVwE+nfjQI3TYHCrOVgU=; h=To:References:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=DfMkT/2ZMP+aQ7M2i91b6tbAH5NsLy461chpaO2PRjedwWBWLZqi0xzBZhlF4aRNKAUJvC5NdeVAwGM8ND1fNlIGOILAIjaGr2WVtEpJvSZ9HXEQ08Ouk4tMBEXv3NqDLh/pj7lahSGAJmXoJ4yxA3Q2hJ0NSczkJI2T6eOUmBU=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Dan, if it is just the tip that is smashed you may be able to get a new part and repair your airbrush. Contact the manufacture.

I have owned airbrushes made by Paashe, Badger and Iwata. Single action and double action. All have been good airbrushes. But each has a different feel and balance. If you can, hold different brands and choose the one that feels best in your hand. Craft stores, like Hobby Lobby, carry airbrush supplies if you don’t have a hobby shop near by.

Get one that is easy to clean, ie disassemble. I prefer an internal mix with a easy to remove needle

A key issue is what kind of paint to you plan to shoot? As Nelson points out there is a difference between solvent based paints vs water based acrylic paints. I had to change the tip and needle in my Paashe to use it with acrylics. Now I use a Badger Anthem 155 and an Iwata Eclipse, both designed for the heavier bodied acrylic paints.

Air supply: if you can run a hose from your shop to your train room, do it. Put a regulator and moisture trap on that line next to your painting area and keep the noise in the shop. Unless you go with a “silent” compressor, you will find the noise and vibrations of a small portable compressor annoying. And it may not provide a sufficient air supply.