Re: [CBQ] CB&Q signals

To: "CBQ@yahoogroups.com" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] CB&Q signals
From: "STEVEN HOLDING sholding@sbcglobal.net [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2017 03:55:21 +0000 (UTC)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1484884523; bh=MDn2Ei8E+2QiaEIE72bkQJbiU3GbjdvlsslSkHGPXT4=; h=To:In-Reply-To:References:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=EavXfpNIPy1SzrfQNp5NcHfOeO/XOucCphTB42mcRGS4rCZrpWLdQwUwY4UI+P0i9XdXjg/yA4lUEghCrTQZDg2n1wpdHhjaG6bg882vbbw/78NG5jJRMSxqiBW1U9u5fenZkttOn4GqL/6fEW3VkV6374qgMNivnbvVR3NVH/o=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Signaling on the CB&Q is a large subject.  Some of the first of course was train orders for dark territory.  Then with stations a system of lock block was used where the train order signal was used.  The operators would use that signal and not clear it until communications with the next station that the block was clear.  With automatic block signaling came to the East End(Aurora to Chicago)  the lower Quad semaphores as technology improved and Color lights in a triangle(4/26) were put in the lower quads were refurbished and moved west and or north.  This system was used over the years with the different style of signals.  So over the years you can find several signal styles used on the same territory as the technology got more improved.  Early Auto train Stop was tested at various locations as well. My earliest article is dated Dec. 1908.  Another increase was the remote control of signals which was used to save labor by cutting out towers and or stations.  At one time the Check Block System ran all the way from Chicago to Denver
Railway Signaling 2/28 is the best article about ABS Chicago to Denver.  Just about every style was used on the Q and one of the major efforts was Automatic interlockings at remote locations with low traffic(branchlines)  A signaling article would be a giant Bulletin because of all the ground to cover.  You would also need all five of the rule books as rules changed over the years.
Hope this helps a little
Steve in SC
Retired Train Dispatcher BN/BNSF