Re: [CBQ] FW: Antique 1 6 Plate Tintype Photo CB Q Railroad RR Train Eng

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] FW: Antique 1 6 Plate Tintype Photo CB Q Railroad RR Train Engine Locomotive
From: "milepost206@mchsi.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: 12 Sep 2016 06:21:03 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1473686465; bh=sjV1s8+86UNhLNuhkVqdKU3YkBf8aNvA1d80ND2cYvc=; h=To:References:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=x5Jlk+YvpZBlHJ/ctPYKqkwzEdp3bxefUlHM2JMxF6+bFo2Zucrig9kXgGgwIYUI98rxsElxysy0k+KkwMcfBrdL1PZkxNqw+bAzD++Xkb+BeBuSaY/nMyBVcwuwSoCOIU5nmGOm7s1qovVl/KuZB9eCnXHTmoo31txLTM34A58=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Charlie,

I never filtered the image. I removed the Red & Green color channels producing distortion in the original ebay image. This is a subtractive operation that improves image quality.

There is no image data to suggest there is a number or lettering on the cab side that I can see.

In each color channel 275 is clearly defined. Does that 'prove with absolute certainty' this engine is 275? Unless we had the train orders from that day, we can't be certain. With 99% certainty the numbers 275 are on that dome based on the angular distortion seen from the numbers being applied to a curved surface. Further, to me, there is no curved front window. It appears to me the engineer's window was slid forward extending beyond the cab front wall.

According to the BM&R in Iowa roster information Rupert posted Schenectady had nothing to do with this engine. The 275 was originally built as an 0-4-0 by Manchester and numbered 604, then 1604 before renumbering to 275. The CB&Q could have reused the pony trucks from any convenient scrap pile.

It would be nice to have a Manchester builder's photo or construction data for construction number 236 for comparison.

Randy

Posted by: milepost206@mchsi.com