Re: [CBQ] Re: Last Q Motor

To: "CBQ@yahoogroups.com" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Last Q Motor
From: "Kenneth Fleming kf5632@gmail.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2016 09:05:13 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1467723963; bh=/Ccaed4Sk044gtDCNvAauO/NiM6AvsnrNg+S/KEJmUs=; h=In-Reply-To:References:To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=1K7p+AVJbXTqQpKximl3lHJB6u24rXonc7xiuXHG8ljBqQMYfm2IiRfRJBAmRC+2ohnVzIOzupuC2hFjczlo6cNngYdZCLdH1mPCtDqpIxNS2LvnRkMlYOmpsIAAH7LH1VtAqBG3CD/rvFd/n04WXpYbhHDUuVsACWF70dEmceg=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

As a side bar to the last motor car discussion, when Illinois Midland Railway's #4 died (front tube sheet rotted out), the Q went looking for a replacement.  The little I.M. handled over 300 cars a year, thus the rush to  find a replacement.  They found a motor car out West somewhere and raced it to Eola for transfer to Newark, Ill.  They pulled the front draw bar while switching at Eola yard and sent it to Aurora for repair (somewhere in my collection is a picture of it at Aurora awaiting repair.  Meanwhile, the Q found the Gas Electric 9120 somewhere and sent it to Newark.  The B&B gang had to rebuild the bridge just East of Millington because the timbers were almost rotted through.  This bridge was over the creek where #4 took water.  The 9120 arrived "sick", one generator was not functional.  Although I loved running #4, the 9120 soon became my baby.  The controllers (2) were GE streetcar controllers and neat to operate when compared to EMD controls.  The 9120 didn't last long and died when the operable generator burnedout.  The Illinois Midland Railway died when the bridge (mentioned earlier) was burned by some kids.