Re: [CBQ] What's The Hostler Doing?

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] What's The Hostler Doing?
From: "Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2016 17:32:52 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1460323980; bh=sbm0s+8Gm3m4w/jJuuKMUUCj1yNCeCHFgnDvkTYy+Z0=; h=To:In-Reply-To:References:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=1x20am/rGD3TmUOFyEdBZWEfGXP7SouF8IIDX4J/XkaCBTIPG6NP7myXV0T4+CXXtav0SXj3f5X9R3OcY6BNaazJVyLyhSXrMzWiDv6Bsx1u8w/QzpU/B5o3EOROK61Q5KjoqJPQf/p+xW6G/r9k8VxtMK5QuDpj7tuFORBB6Es=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

He's filling the sand bin which probably was located near the front of the tender so the fireman could reach it with his shovel.  The sand was shoveled   into the firebox through a special opening and it's purpose was to "sand out" the flues which tended to plug up with oil soot.  The tremendous draft through the firebox provided a good velocity to the sand as it scoured out the flues.

The sanding operation resulted in a colossal display of black smoke and red hot cinders.

Something I don't see which I have seen on oil burners on other railroads is the light which was  "affixed"..(hows that for a word) just ahead of the rim of the stack so that the fireman could check the density of the smoke at night...

Pete