Re: [CBQ] What's The Hostler Doing? [1 Attachment]

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] What's The Hostler Doing? [1 Attachment]
From: "LZadnichek@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2016 20:09:24 -0400
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
[Attachment(s) from LZadnichek@aol.com included below]

April 10, 2016

Pete and Phil - You both get a "gold star" in correctly identifying the Lincoln roundhouse hostler as pouring sand into the tender sand box for use in cleaning flues. Since I do not have any gold stars handy, you get a bonus undated color image of 4003 in dead storage at Lincoln, NE, probably never to run again. I've both inserted and attached the image. In the attached image, if you enlarge it, I think you can just see the sand box to the left in entrance of the gangway.

All Q oil burning steam locomotives had such tender sand boxes, so modelers can feel free to make two stops under their sand tower, one for the sand dome on the locomotive and one for the sand box in the tender. One question I have, how much sand would the tender sand box on the 4003 hold? Would there have been enough sand to fill a 55 gal. drum, more, less?

To answer Pete's question about a light mounted on the top backside of the stack so the fireman could judge his fire by the darkness of the smoke at night, to my knowledge such a device was never used on Q, C&S or FW&D oil-burning locomotives. However, it was used widely on Frisco and MOPAC steam locomotives, among other railroads that used Bunker C oil for fuel.

Since oil-burning locomotives could have their fires "turned off" between runs rather than having their fires banked like on their coal-burning siblings, some Q oil-burners had a round stack flap fitted on a hinge that the fireman could flop over the open stack to keep as much heat in the boiler as possible until the locomotive was needed later. This seems to have been a roundhouse added device as some oil-burners had the stack flap and others didn't.

Anyone else with Lines West oil-burner stories or comments is welcome to chime-in! Best Regards - Louis

Louis Zadnichek II
Fairhope, AL