Re: [CBQ] Black Boxcar Theory

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Black Boxcar Theory
From: "LZadnichek@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2016 11:08:56 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

February 2, 2016

Randy - BRILLIANT! - Louis

Louis Zadnichek II
Fairhope, AL

In a message dated 2/1/2016 5:43:24 P.M. Central Standard Time, CBQ@yahoogroups.com writes:
Greetings,

After reading this thread and taking some time to evaluate the photo
in Photoshop, I think I might have to agree with Rupert based on
taking measurements of the individual RGB color channels, Red, Green,
Blue with the Eyedropper tool, and comparing the sample numbers to
various areas of the image that we suspect are black. By looking at
each color channel we can essentially see what the scanner sensor
recorded during that image scan. In essence, you are applying a filter
to the original image. Converting the color scan to gray (B&W) with
the Mode button is the big hammer action. Checking color channels
individually is another method to look at the Info so you can 'see'
the gray tone numerical values and how the change across an image with
a little more finesse.

Levels were adjusted to obtain full tonal range and contrast.
Measurements we made between 400-600% and sampling size was set to
Point Size.

1. The boxcar is question sports a Burlington herald that more than
likely contains a red stripe. We assume that red to be some of the
brightest red in the image. This red herald stripe generally compares
to areas of the boxcars to the right of the 'black' boxcar but is a
separate tone.

The herald more than likely contains black. We assume that black to be
some of the blackest black in the image other than hard shadows.

2. The left side of the lady's umbrella is a match to the boxcar
within a few numbers of the boxcar.

3. Rupert's eye caught the bowler hats. The majority of similar tone
hats match the boxcar within a number or two.

4. Some of the buggies and most all automobiles are probably black.
The majority of similar tones match the boxcar within a number or two.

5. It looks like the 10th person behind the umbrella is probably
wearing a black suit. Several samples of the boxcar match the suit. I
don't think there were any Mineral Red suits in 1910 but who knows.

6. Can we prove this definitively? No. Can we elevate the black boxcar
theory with more than a bowler hat? Yes, using an umbrella, suit, car
and buggy. Maybe science can prove the theory wrong.

BTW -This same evaluation works for converting an RGB/color scan to
Gray/B&W. If you have a RGB/color scan of an image and want to convert
it from RGB color to Gray/B&W, use the RGB Channels individually to
see which 'scan' looks best. Many times the excess noise and loss of
detail can be traced to a bad color channel. Select the best looking
color channel and select Image>Mode>Gray Scale. When the pop up window
asks if you want to delete the other two channels, select yes. This
takes more time than selecting the Big Hammer - Image>Mode>Gray Scale
but the channel selection process usually leaves you with a superior
image. Not always. Usually.

Finally, you have to apply the first axiom of railroading. The
railroad can do whatever it wants, whenever it wants, however it wants
and does so on a daily basis without logic or reason and sometimes in
utter dismay.

Randy Danniel

Posted by: Randy Danniel <milepost206@mchsi.com>

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com