[CBQ] Mainline sidings ?

To: "<CBQ@yahoogroups.com>" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Mainline sidings ?
From: "qutlx1@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 19:48:10 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I have an operations question that's come to mind recently and all the men I
once worked with who could answer are now gone.

All along the Q mainline from Chicago to Denver were long sidings used for
trains to get in the clear. The ones I'm familiar with and aware of from first
hand use or historical research were at many points on the Aurora division. For
example Bristol,Plano, Somonauk,Leland, Earlville and Mendota just to name a
few.

At these points after the tower operator had lined you into the siding,at the
other end was a hand throw switch. How did you know when it was OK to come out
of the siding ? Generally these moves would be with the "current of traffic",
that is there were eastward and westward sidings outside of the respective
main. Usually a local or a "dead freight " would be routed into the siding
By the tower to hold to allow faster trains to pass.

Did the brakeman just walk to the phone and ask ? Seems a little out of
character back in the day of train order right overs,meets,etc. In my time of
mostly CTC operation one had signals to look at and radio/phone communication.
But pre CTC,pre radio,etc if a train was routed into a siding at an
interlocking plant; how were they sure it was ok to "open up" and proceed.
Seems to me if it was just verbal on the phone it was open to error. Or did the
Condr. Have to walk up/ back to copy or get an order ? Or was it handed to them
as they passed the tower heading into the siding ?

Yes I know,small minds ask small questions. Buy its this day to day detail that
makes it interesting. Just think how it makes the layout slow down and be more
realistic !

Leo

Posted by: qutlx1@aol.com

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com