Re: [CBQ] Re: Indian Warpath Train Order

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Indian Warpath Train Order
From: "LZadnichek@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 14:32:12 -0400
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

June 17, 2015

Hol - Many thanks for sharing the L-1 images. Other than the one builder's photograph in the Corbin book, these are the first images I've ever seen of the Q's 0-10-0 helper locomotives. I'll retract my earlier comment about them being "odd looking." Instead, let me say they were massive beasts for their time, no doubt about it. Plus, they had a certain big, brawny handsomeness to them, as well, what with the graphited smoke box, shotgun stack, Belpaire boiler and oversize cab. And that they lasted 25 years, that's testament to a good design that worked for their assigned role as helpers. The only negatives that I can assume is that the L-1s with their weight and rigid wheelbase must've been hard on the track at any speed over helping a train up a grade. Plus, in those pre-stoker days, it must've taken two firemen and the head end brakeman to keep one hot when shoving for all they were worth. I bet the 0-10-0s were LOUD, too..... Again, thanks for sharing your wonderful L-1 images. I look forward to reading your planned article about them. Best Regards - Louis

Louis Zadnichek II
Fairhope, AL