[CBQ] Re: Indian Warpath Train Order

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Indian Warpath Train Order
From: "runextra@gmail.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: 12 Jun 2015 15:38:28 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1434148708; bh=8ye6yyCqMnS47nQnUfJjHBCc3zZ+kZe0f4M1ecoDJQg=; h=To:References:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=cQ9OepKW9ohXkQTaWD7W1KWZF1GGQH3um4XfCvE0FdqD3zXbimLH47OxDbsC2nKaYJ89cOYPVXrqdF1USEsyLKgWLjuDv5/aw+DPjERduOqZqXDbVav7CgZfI3D8PPF+P9zHZL6djpb1zFwEyflb8rOzNLBPZ1tXyt84NwNj5SY=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

 >wonder what the ruling grade in that vicinity was to have required a 0-10-0 for a helper?

Orella Hill at MP 440 has about 5 miles of eastbound 0.8% grade and about 8 miles of westbound varying  grade that reaches 0.8% in a few short places.
However Orella is only about 17 miles west of Crawford and it is generally uphill from the C&NW crossing at Crawford to Orella.  Since there were helper engines stationed at Crawford for the long 1.6% grade east up to the tunnel I _assume_ those Crawford helpers were also used, at least occasionally, to shove heavy westbounds up Orella Hill or to run light to west of Orella to assist eatbounds over Orella and then up Crawford Hill. But I'm just guessing. When I worked Alliance to Edgemont I never saw helpers used for Orella Hill but of course that was the diesel era.

Posted by: runextra@gmail.com