RE: [CBQ] Diesel operation

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Diesel operation
From: "'Steve Haas' Goatfisher2@comcast.net [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 19:27:53 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1416367673; bh=H3Ip2zIQivUK9CvpGt4lbVD49Kj42uZJjEJo5q73mM0=; h=To:References:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=qan3W5tRwQVYk/dGzuQG2AmKdtvKW0GwrWyO5oYWICaj+9Yrf8vlQv8G57oSoYqmnooZYdQb3aQfpePrLUb5Vd35OKN3QfgvWt6USn+1oZaB6+n/Wk+esIFmkcyfonuqqLicqbcZUNJx8dlNERqQQqKwTbLz/3a4R01SknIMAwI=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
<<I admit I am not the most knowledgable about diesel operation on mainline
trains. In mainline usage how many "motors" were typically used on a train?
What got me thinking is I recently got two of the U25c's. Now recently they
have been bringing in engines with two different numbers. So on a typical
train are two engines enough, would one do or do you need to mix in other
engines?>>

Ken,

It all boils down to just one thing:

The ability of a given engine to haul a given amount of trailing tonnage
over the ruling grade on the assigned run.

Railroads will assign the number of engines needed to generate the necessary
horsepower to get the desired tonnage over the district in question in the
time allowed for.

That's an over simplification, but it should be enough to get you started.

Best regards,

Steve

Steve Haas
Snoqualmie, WA