RE: [CBQ] Facilities

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Facilities
From: "jonathanharris@earthlink.net [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: 16 Nov 2014 06:27:59 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1416148079; bh=XJmYgmEnx7bqojzbDBuMFvcA/OTdyX282QRO6P9f0wA=; h=To:References:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=5XXikpLKy1PkE8KjqdI98RrZ5U431Go7ouq15MRHTktK/Huqe0FL3eOLAVJxftSOdcM/siHidsBqOFGhLATYl+xVdSFOZqpKp9kSQmxcsrIwbWTLyJUPQg/OX2uTHBL1QAGIwfpuO136aL+wqO/Srj3Hu6KkwoExjcgxBJLTRu8=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Hol, something you said here puzzles me.

"...I have looked for years without success for a drawing of the fairly standard wooden sand tower used by the Q in the steam era where sand was not dispensed at/by the coal chute.  Separate sand towers were used when space or other constraints did not allow the sand drying and storage house to be located adjacent to the coal chute and the dried sand pumped through pipes to the coal chute for distribution."

So sand was poured into the domes through the coal chute? Given the width of the chute, how did they direct the sand into the dome and prevent it from spilling all over the top of the boiler?

Can you refer me to a photo showing this arrangement—i.e., showing what the sand drying and storage house looked like when sited right next to the coal chute?

Thanks very much,
Jonathan Harris

Posted by: jonathanharris@earthlink.net