[CBQ] Re: Eola Coaling Towers/Sept 1960 Steam Excursion

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Eola Coaling Towers/Sept 1960 Steam Excursion
From: "'Charles Amstein' qa3688@comcast.net [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 11:00:56 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1408379528; bh=e7zSPbisJI4vVy6vMDxglADNRo6WmHbBVtRiOUY+KWQ=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:Subject:X-Yahoo-Group-Post:X-Yahoo-Profile:X-YGroups-SubInfo:From:X-Original-From:Reply-To:Return-Path:To:Sender:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-eGroups-Approved-By:X-eGroups-Auth:Content-Type; b=QJiNThBGaS+lPeR/z+0f6SpJKAJRCcvkjnKQSXCKWPOIAUDzVtginVnV6LMXp4UMZwHYqcCXjOlnA3pSCY/VCK9UpCvlHpdsySshRSQ/O4ZP95LvdG8R5M+AeVj69vOSuyt+qe4e+YkenGwFoOFDmanKrTCJIRFGDzBzss8fnSY=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Here's a suggestion, courtesy of the ISU GIS facility, 1950s layer --

http://ortho.gis.iastate.edu/client_pls.cgi?zoom=1&x0=472736&y0=4541720&layer=ortho_1960&action=layerortho_1950&pwidth=1000&pheight=600

The structure in the center may be the coaling tower, with bright roof.
The Facilities book photo on p. 42 also shows a light colored roof.
Other geographical features seem to agree with what is seen in the
photo.  A signal bridge can be seen toward the northwest.
You can switch to the 1930s and 1960s (tower is gone) layers
for comparisons.

Compare with the current Google aerial view of Chariton.
Extrapolate Mitchell Ave. westward until you cross the tracks.
The foundation is just below that point.

Hope this helps,

Chuck Amstein

Posted by: "Charles Amstein" <qa3688@comcast.net>

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com