Re: FW: [CBQ] Re: Eola Coaling Towers/Sept 1960 Steam Excursion

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: FW: [CBQ] Re: Eola Coaling Towers/Sept 1960 Steam Excursion
From: "ku0a@mchsi.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 11:30:40 -0500 (CDT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1408379449; bh=YD9SeSbES0x70vUXgxN1F5TTRevuo5A4pwFjBIABtww=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Authority-Analysis:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Original-From:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=JDEGoj6adavTOwo8D3KPCSfUll+mcpGl6ILNekAzlGsNLTzLGY4DPtAEURziyP9SonKcPtOyT/yXbWrlWSq8LOqH3ucv1tPn+AVzL65MCKUpirt98kAiYPMI6f/YTnNGhcG9DeL0yevg67iV4mTqIZNfEzucoI27Ipm+lWR1ufs=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Seeing the Chariton coal chute reminded me that I need photos of the 16 x 61 ft. coal bin, 18 x 57 ft. engine house, and 6 x 15 ft. cinder pit in Winfield, IA. Actually any similar size structures would be helpful. I have drawings of the open top coal pockets at Western Yard and photos of the coal pocket at Burlington. Both structures are based upon 16 x 16 ft. units strung together, six in Western Yard and three in Burlington. Since 61 ft. isn't an even multiple of 16 ft., I'm wondering if the Winfield coal bin was of different construction. I've never seen a photo of the Winfield coal bin.

The water tower was of standard construction, and I have a photo and dimension from BB#30. Any other photos would be helpful.

Other structures I'd like to model in Winfield, but have little information include the 18 x 57 ft. engine house, 27 ft. inspection pit, and 6 x 15 ft. cinder pit.

The engine house burned, and the only picture I've seen is a fuzzy photo in BB#30. I'm guessing the inspection pit was in the engine house, but I don't know that.

I've never seen a photo of a Q cinder pit, so any help there would be invaluable. Since Winfield was relatively small, I'd guess that cinders were shoveled into a gondola.

I have enough information to model the rest of the railroad structures, though if a photo of the bunk houses exists, I'd love to see it. It consisted of two 36 boxcars attached end to end.

Any modeling help will be greatly appreciated.

Nelson Moyer

Posted by: ku0a@mchsi.com