RE: [CBQ] F7 Grayback Paint Suggestions for Modeling

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] F7 Grayback Paint Suggestions for Modeling
From: "'Nelson Moyer' ku0a@mchsi.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2014 19:38:54 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1407112738; bh=VJe9DRzbKbOijagVx5hDHOW+sAHvoLGLJ19k9e/moHI=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Authority-Analysis:To:References:In-Reply-To:Message-ID:X-Mailer:Thread-Index:Content-Language:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Original-From:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Reply-To:Content-Type; b=LaGFiifNJfO8+GhU/MymClbNuA2FQslWrpMPJZvIMIXz3MZ//eR3PwMHmflFkX47Ocmv/3Cj1JHNbgleymeKLFnCOcSLKLsvGH1jHN+uMsll1b32nW13TBx81Pb0AaKR7XvLr5eMGeoURbjmsk+TbXKEa4CSF4up91m8cqlVSlM=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Just because it matches the Genesis models doesn’t make it correct. For that matter, just because ModelFlex matched a Dupont color chip doesn’t make it correct, either. We’re probably long past being ‘correct’. I can state categorically that Walters didn’t get it right. I made a color chip with CB&Q Imitation Aluminum yesterday when this question was first posted, and I compared it to both Intermountain and Walthers P2K F units. The ModelFlex paint is much darker and much grayer than either Intermountain or Walthers models under 6500K and 5000K lights of relatively high intensity. Obviously that’s not as bright as sunlight but I used 2700 lumen bulbs  with a CRI of 85 (100 is pure sunlight). The ModelFlex paint may match the Dupont color chip, but we modelers have to decide how our models ‘should’ look under layout lights of much different color temperatures and much less intensity. Besides, when was the color chip that ModelFlex matched made, and what about color drift over 35 years of F unit service. I made a color chip of ModelFlex CB&Q Gray (Blackbird gray) some time ago and compared the Imitation Aluminum to CB&Q Gray. I compared both chips to color photos selected for color fidelity by eye (good lighting, good photography, minimal film artifacts, closeup views, etc.), and CB&Q Gray seems spot on (well, maybe a little dark for layout lighting), while Imitation Aluminum has a decided tannish gray tone that I don’t see on commercial models or in prototype photographs. The tannish tint is particularly noticeable when the chips are side by side. Imitation Aluminum could be lighten by adding white, but I’m not sure that would eliminate the tannish gray tones. I think the yellowish color (I call it tannish) is from the paint and DullCote simply accentuates it. I’ve painted several Blackbirds, but no F units, and I’m not sure what mix I’d use if I had to do so. I certainly wouldn’t use Imitation Aluminum straight out of the bottle, and I’d probably try for a custom mix that ‘looks right’ under layout lighting.

Nelson Moyer