Re: [CBQ] What could these crates be?

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] What could these crates be?
From: Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 22:57:25 -0400 (EDT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1395284248; bh=j5FvYxANisztj4mjHEvnBMEFDkeecstb5a3WSfW0ZFo=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:References:To:In-Reply-To:X-MB-Message-Source:X-MB-Message-Type:X-Mailer:X-Received:Message-Id:x-aol-global-disposition:x-aol-sid:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=eiheyXVgxenaiZwT/KEgX/KjJqMiq7MUiq2pxrrlcWkzOgOL5FNnjz0ld6Gr6XygIHlnX00i+0zD9wg+BcRAel6mYvceugjf3Uj2C7XrNBIPMr99nE7ndyWvUGu3GvME2UnL+Lyct6zYnX+BS7tM/z42VGwxjJX08r97JHE3YVk=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Leo...I'm going to make some assumptions here, but I think that the banana
movement would have been from New Orleans to major distribution points ie
Chicago, Minneapolis, Omaha etc.  Thence via REA to local towns via passenger
trains or as LCL via freight trains.

My dad often told of fresh meat shipments moving via LCL to Langdon via local
freight trains thence via RPLN to Rock Port...Those mainline locals handling
this kind of stuff...ie fresh fruit, vegetable, meat etc carried what we would
term a "trap or way car" for such local shipments..This car would be a
refrigerator car...I think these were gone before I came along, but the local
LCL (way car) was still very much in evidence in "my day" for "dry freight"

Note  that I am using the term  "way car"...not waycar as the conveyance for
local LCL shipments.  "Way car"...derived from it's use as a conveyance for
shipments to be unloaded "along the WAY"

Pete