Re: [CBQ] What could these crates be?

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] What could these crates be?
From: <rquisenb@comcast.net>
Date: 20 Mar 2014 14:26:11 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1395366744; bh=2+0fj3qLzQg6lZ4I8P0VhZTD8QQotrrgpcwlKDHzzZo=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Date:X-Received:Message-ID:X-Mailer:MIME-Version:References:In-Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:Subject:X-Yahoo-Group-Post:X-Yahoo-Profile:X-YGroups-SubInfo:To:Sender:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-eGroups-Approved-By:X-eGroups-Auth; b=jA0KgrdUU+kskKGFPrfWjxUUrS7fHiuIgoK8UNIpt7RCu9HrBNsBMNXHXSwlBKtpOiCiwbszKPv/IM7FWUhIZkWpqnpPpiK5J/qGReNYMLB/siBIbkm8n4LVJSLBJ83o1hhl0RhY+G63MPdwg3LvkwK+FzEibknsTyysfguUnq8=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Pete's earlier posting answers my question about Banana Messenger - I apologize
for overlooking his explanation.
 Ray Quisenberry

---In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, <Jpslhedgpeth@...> wrote :
 Bananas were moved in ice reefers from New Orleans to northern markets  ie
Chicago, Minneapolis et cetra...shipments were cared for by Banana Messengers
who accompanied the shipments and took care of opening and closing the vents
and operating the heaters on the cars.
 I encountered one of these messengers in the yard at Ravenna, NE one night in
1956...He was creeping down a train with a dim "barn" lantern.
 I asked the foreman..who that guy was..He said.."That was the banana
messenger....They were recruited from such environs as West Madison St. in
Chicago and other like environs in other cities.

 BTW..just so ya know...Bananas were a commodity that actually created heat as
they ripened...That's why the cars had to have someone to regulate the
temperature by opening and closing the vents and lighting and extinguishing the
heaters.  If not properly handled the bananas would ripen too rapidly spurred
on by their own self created heat and thus spoil before they reached
destination.

 Pete