[CBQ] Pre-1900 CB&Q Chicago Divison Photographs

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Pre-1900 CB&Q Chicago Divison Photographs
From: LZadnichek@aol.com
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 17:34:07 -0500 (EST)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1393540454; bh=NNHvK8HtnLNH5nxR1IsU9Q6f9tZX/Umn+Nh2dSRHljA=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Full-name:Message-ID:To:X-Mailer:x-aol-global-disposition:X-AOL-VSS-INFO:X-AOL-VSS-CODE:x-aol-sid:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Reply-To:Content-Type; b=OVh0kdfCKhK7cuwt5oo41uudbql+cp8gDS9efUDidP5/HaVwgiSqJ4n9HSA/YpdeuOo7KystGc5oQldWh1rfneOnBMGb3UVJmVepo0fvhK019RLvCGsOQGkSc8/saRiAXVHIEZsr9zhb5TXFPnHNL4D2xEkRA6OKgfRj7agrOT0=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
February 27, 2014

Charlie - You and I have been looking for pre-1900 CB&Q Chicago Division photographs for many years and, like you, I've never come across any. Through my father, I had visiting rights to Al Rung's public relations office at the Jackson Street general offices during the mid-1960s and I do not recall ever seeing such images there, either. It seems very strange that such photographs are virtually non-existent, both on the Web and in personal or historical society collections that we're both aware of.

Guess there must be a huge cache of glass plate negatives or tin types long forgotten in someone's attic or basement somewhere in Chicago Land that we just haven't yet discovered. All that I can contribute are three interesting images that you've probably already seen or have copies of showing the Q in Aurora prior to 1900:

(1) Shown is the Aurora Roundhouse with early A Class 4-4-0s on the ready track with some passenger coaches at far left. The image is undated, but looks to be 1880s or so to me.

(2) Shown is Class A-2 No.1158 under repair in the Aurora Roundhouse. This image is undated, but the Corbin Book states the 1158 was built at Aurora in 1881 as the 252, but was renumbered to 1158 in 1898 and was scrapped in 1910. If the engine was overhauled at the time it was renumbered, then the image ought to date to 1898 and that would be consistent with the style of clothing worn by the roundhouse gang. This old photograph in itself was a rather remarkable feat involving a huge view camera with glass plate negative, long exposure setting, a disciplined gang that held still the entire time so as not to blur the image, plus lots and lots of flash powder to illuminate the stygian roundhouse.

(3) Shown is the Aurora Coal Dock. In this undated view, note the team of horses at right delivering what looks to be a wagon load of coal to be dumped into a pocket. Plus, the water tank with enclosed bottom to prevent it from freezing in winter months. From the gentlemen in the foreground with top hat and light covered full length coat or possibly duster for riding a horse and/or buggy, this image might date to the 1860s as, according to the Corbin Book, the Q had converted from wood to coal firing by 1857.

A lot of history in the three above images. I'm curious as to what would be the oldest CB&Q image that you, or anyone else on this List, has a copy of and would be willing to share. It would be very interesting to view. I've always had a real interest in Q photographs, particularly older ones, and always enjoy seeing those posted by other List members.

Louis Zadnichek II
Fairhope, AL

- - - -

The photo of 4960 at Downers Grove during WWII is great!    It reminded me of something that has been bugging me….where are all the pictures of CB&Q trains c.1850-1910 taken in the Chicago area?    Other than a few photos of trains at stations there seems to be a dearth photos of CB&Q equipment taken on the Chicago-Aurora main….much less on the G&CU before the line was built.   There should also be shots of the IC using the CB&Q to get into Chicago from Iowa as their own line was not finished until the turn of the century…..

- - - -