Re: [CBQ] O-5-A Extra Order Builder's Plate

To: "CBQ@yahoogroups.com" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] O-5-A Extra Order Builder's Plate
From: STEVEN HOLDING <sholding@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 06:51:34 -0800 (PST)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1391093898; bh=8gcb+gAIPCwS4EPQNLzFfhJBXAf9z7XLBouczuZp8vw=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-YMail-OSG:X-Received:X-Rocket-MIMEInfo:X-Mailer:References:Message-ID:To:In-Reply-To:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=Jsbu6+Ur1MSkBHg6StYqXsZpi2QIo1EiROVDLmrBR8+VkGusHxfOtST/LISrZTFZyNSWTPo9ItycTUMq8rT0Pfbu11wMmtfXAMrsUb/klpXvU0Oun4i/3V7iXmUsJJs7Qepdpw2be9SghhK1cIVuT0i6JLRT4uAeGidAwMycAbc=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

I worked in the DeGoyer Library years ago cataloging CB&Q material and there are tons of drawings.  From original locating drawings between KC and Omaha to locomotive and gas-electric drawings.  Many of them were wrapped in brown paper and tied with train order string and full of dust and soot from the W BN shops.  What stuck me was the use of many parts in several classes of engines.  I would spend 4 hours making notes and it would take 8 to 12 hours to put it on the computer.  Charlie has my Hard Copy and the library got a copy and a CD.  Due to other things I had to quite and have not been able to get back after retiring and moving. One problem is the staff change in the library over the years and they may not be able to access the drawings or even have any idea they are there.
There are many facilities across the country with similar amounts of material and little or no interest from the public or scholars and the material just sits and is often disposed of.  In talking with Jim Singer we now have material from the Newberry and we need to support the efforts headed up by Jim in getting our society archive off the ground but it will take M&Ms to get it done.  (Money and Manpower)  If you want access to the material you got to put in the time and support to say nothing of the support by money.
Steve in SC